Sirona Dx harnesses Ion Torrent PGM systems to generate large amounts of high-quality Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data including from challenging clinical samples such as FFPE.
Ion Torrent Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) utilizes a semiconductor-based, sequencing-by-synthesis technology and emulsion PCR (emPCR) to measures the H+ ions released during base incorporation.
Bases of small fragments of DNA are sequentially identified from signals emitted as each fragment is re-synthesized from a DNA template strand. NGS extends this process across millions of reactions in a massively parallel fashion, rather than being limited to a single or a few DNA fragments.
NGS Applications include:
- Targeted sequencing for DNA and RNA
- Exome sequencing, enabling identification of single nucleotide variants (SNVs) and small insertions and deletions (indels)
- Transcriptome sequencing (RNA sequencing can quantitate changes in gene expression, as well as detect fusion transcripts from chromosomal rearrangements)
- Genome sequencing, including de novo sequencing, bacterial typing, and viral typing
- Aneuploidy detection (Large chromosomal duplications or deletions and copy number variations (CNVs))
- Epigenetic Applications (Chromatin Immunoprecipitation sequencing).
- Microbial Population Analysis, including metagenomics and viral, bacterial, and yeast genome sequencing