Sirona Dx offers Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), using the Ion Proton and Ion PGM systems. Our scientists leverage the powerful Ion Torrent TM sequencing technology to generate large amounts of high quality sequencing data including from challenging clinical samples such as FFPE.
Ion Torrent Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) utilizes a semiconductor-based, sequencing-by-synthesis technology and emulsion PCR (emPCR) similar to other platforms. It measures the H+ ions released during base incorporation.
Bases of small fragments of DNA are sequentially identified from signals emitted as each fragment is re-synthesized from a DNA template strand. NGS extends this process across millions of reactions in a massively parallel fashion, rather than being limited to a single or a few DNA fragments. This advance enables rapid sequencing, or large stretches of DNA base pairs spanning entire genomes, with the latest instruments capable of producing many gigabases of data in a single sequencing run.
For example, consider a single genomic DNA (gDNA) sample. The gDNA is first fragmented into a library of small segments that can be uniformly and accurately sequenced during millions of parallel reactions. The newly identified strings of bases, called reads, are then reassembled using a known reference genome as a scaffold (resequencing) or in the absence of a reference genome (de novo sequencing).
Applications for NGS include:
- Targeted sequencing for DNA and RNA
- Exome sequencing, enabling identification of single nucleotide variants (SNVs) and small insertions and deletions (indels)
- Transcriptome sequencing (RNA sequencing can quantitate changes in gene expression, as well as detect fusion transcripts from chromosomal rearrangements)
- Genome sequencing, including de novo sequencing, bacterial typing, and viral typing
- Aneuploidy detection (Large chromosomal duplications or deletions and copy number variations (CNVs))
- Epigenetic Applications (Chromatin Immunoprecipitation sequencing).
- Microbial Population Analysis, including metagenomics and viral, bacterial, and yeast genome sequencing
|Next Generation Sequencing||Illumina MiSeq
Ion PGM™ System
Ion PGM™ Dx System
|Copy Number | Mutations | RNA Fusions|
|Immunohistochemistry||Helios™, a CyTOF® system||Protein Expression for high-parameter analysis in the areas of immune profiling and high-resolution characterization of the tumor microenvironment|
|Immuno Oncology||Biomark™ HD system||Analysis of immune expression signatures with high sensitivity from FFPE tumor samples|
|RT-qPCR||Applied Biosystems ViiA7 System, and Bio-Rad CFX96™||Mutations | Gene Expression|
|Sanger Sequencing||Applied Biosystems 3130xl DNA Analyzer||Mutations|